The Collin Chronicles: Tales of a Tiny Tyrant

On December 31st 2005 my husband CJ and I became the proud parents of a gorgeous baby boy we named Collin. Needless to say life has been a rollercoaster ride since then! This blog will document the ups and downs of living with the tiny tyrant who now rules our lives!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sleepy Time!



Not to spit in the wind or anything, but the boy has been sleeping better for the last week or so. We started a new strategy with which we are having some success. To start with, I'm resigned for the time being to the fact that nursing him down is the best method for getting him to sleep at night. Don't get me wrong, I love the bonding time with him, but there's a part of me that's freaked out by the thought he'll be 3 years old and still needing the boob to get to sleep (hopefully, this is an irrational fear). But, for now, it's fine. It works for both of us. The next part of our strategy is based on the premis that he does indeed go to bed with a very full tummy, so if he's waking up, it's probably not hunger related. Previously I was getting up to nurse him 2 or 3 times a night (this is from 5 months on)...just to get him back down. Exhausting! So, if he wakes up in the middle of the night now I put the 10 minute timer on him. I will let him cry up until 10 minutes to put himself back to sleep. Anything beyond that is worth an investigation. Guess what? He's never made it past the 8 minute mark yet. Usually, he only goes 3 or 4 minutes. After 3 nights of trying this we've had 8, 9, 10, and 11 hour sleep stretches. Eureka! CJ and I are just trying to catch up on our sleep before the next regression comes along. Naps have improved as well. He's typically taking a morning and an afternoon nap. Sometimes they're only 30 or 40 minutes, but it's still an improvement! Check him out above actually falling asleep during a yogurt snack!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the yogurt 'stache!

1:33 PM  
Blogger chichimama said...

So cute! And I nursed both my kids to sleep until the day I weaned. Enjoy it while you can!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Great pics! BTW, stop by our book club blog - now's the time to comment on Snow Flower!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Hi! I just found your blog searching for someone who has used the hip hammock.

My baby is about the same as yours (who is a doll by the way!) and I nurse her to sleep pretty much every night. I too hope that it doesn't backfire!

So happy to read that letting baby cry for a few minutes is giving you all a little more sleep, we have to do that too from time to time, but she almost always goes to sleep within a minute or two.
Glad I stopped by, I will check back in on you!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home