The Collin Chronicles: Tales of a Tiny Tyrant

On December 31st 2005 my husband CJ and I became the proud parents of a gorgeous baby boy we named Collin. Needless to say life has been a rollercoaster ride since then! This blog will document the ups and downs of living with the tiny tyrant who now rules our lives!

Monday, August 21, 2006

Reading the classics this summer...

Well, I finished Lord of the Flies quickly. I must say that it a rather hair-raising little book. It was incredibly dark and had so many different undertones to it. I'm curious what grade this book is suggested for. You have to wonder, how quickly would the trappings of civilization fall away if any group of people were stranded on an island somewhere and left to their own devices. The characters were intriguing...poor, tormented Piggy, conflcited Ralph, and little psycho-path Jack Merridew. I could relate to Piggy completely because of the dire importance of his specs. I too would be doomed to stumble about haplessly without my contacts or glasses. I could practically feel his anxiety when his were stolen from him toward the end of the book. After finishing, one thing that crossed my mind was how different would the story have been if it was a pack of girls stranded on that island? Overall, I'm glad that I read Lord of the Flies. It was brilliantly written, but nonetheless, I won't be putting it into any of my Top 10 lists anytime soon. RIP Piggy and Simon.

I've since started on Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. This is just the switch in tone I need after Each time I read something by Austen I'm amazed at how modern her stories read. The main character, Catherine, is very likeable and I'm cheering for her. More to come....

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Ohh, can't wait to hear about the Jane Austen book. I too have to try to get into more "classic" reads. The last one was East of Eden, but I really only read it because it was an Oprah book.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Lord of the Flies is middle school reading. I remember reading the book at that age and for the life of me, I don't know why they made us do it. All it did was freak me out, and I really didn't understand the book's concepts until I was an adult. There's an extremely well done movie version of it too. On the other end of the spectrum, Jane Austen - she's one of my faves. I hope you like Northanger Abby. There are some really funny parts in it.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home