The Collin Chronicles: Tales of a Tiny Tyrant

On December 31st 2005 my husband CJ and I became the proud parents of a gorgeous baby boy we named Collin. Needless to say life has been a rollercoaster ride since then! This blog will document the ups and downs of living with the tiny tyrant who now rules our lives!

Monday, November 13, 2006

Cut and Run?



It was a tough weekend. So much so, that yesterday I (briefly) considered abandoning ship. I didn't realize that 10 month olds pitch bona fide temper tantrums. Yesterday, Collin threw a 20 minute fit because I would not let him climb INTO the dishwasher. When I say "fit" I mean kicking, screaming, taking deep breaths to scream louder, tears, and a refusal to be distracted by any other option presented to him. Finally, I actually had to laugh, which pissed him off more, because it was pretty funny. He is a strong willed kid. We see this as both a strength for Collin and a potential challenge area for us as parents. By the time last night rolled around, I was spent. I think the reality of our life now, as parents, was brought home to me that much more this weekend because of Saturday night. On Saturday night we went into Hoboken to meet friends for dinner and drinks. None of these friends have kids. When I asked one couple what their plans were for Sunday, they said "Nothing". Nothing? I have not done Nothing in 10 months. Not once. The realization has put me into a funk. Ask my husband if there is anything I enjoy doing more than nothing and he will answer with a resounding NO. Don't get me wrong. I am actually starting to have a lot of fun with Collin and he is my little buddy. It's getting more interesting by the day around here. But, I really miss doing nothing once in a while. Our plan for the day is food shopping and errand running. Then maybe a little quality time with the husband while we watch MNF. Yes, it is sad that our quality time consists of watching football. We take what we can get these days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

Oh you summed up exactly how I felt all weekend. Now I feel sullen. I WANT NOTHING!!! I can't stand to hear our childless friends talk about how busy they are these days because I'm frankly jealous of what their busy consists of. A lot non-mandatory stuff. Just filler.

The time between 7-9 is a golden time for us as T.D. sleeps and we are awake. If only half awake it is our time. But nothing? I'm still running around trying to get stuff done.

I hear you on the dishwasher too- she laughed at me 3 times yesterday when I told her no, she cannot go into the dishwasher. Laughed!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all feel that way sometimes - it comes with the 24/7 job of parenthood. Maybe next year you can come to the scrapbooking weekend I just attended. Not that I did nothing, but it was nice to get away a bit!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home