The Collin Chronicles: Tales of a Tiny Tyrant

On December 31st 2005 my husband CJ and I became the proud parents of a gorgeous baby boy we named Collin. Needless to say life has been a rollercoaster ride since then! This blog will document the ups and downs of living with the tiny tyrant who now rules our lives!

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Sweet Dreams?

We went for Collin's 6 month check-up this week and he is doing beautifully. He's up to 19lbs and 27 inches. Thankfully, all seems pretty well. Our 1 big issue is Collin's continuing sleep issues. Don't get me wrong, it's not nearly as bad as it could be. Collin usually goes down between 8:00 and 9:00...and may wake up once or twice for a feed. It's normally just once. Here are the problems....I need to nurse him to sleep every night, his one feeding is always at 4:00 am, he is usually up for good by 6:00 am, and he will not nap consistently during the day.

Our pedi. is saying that these are some real problems and we owe it to Collin to "sleep train" him now or regret it later. Just for the record, I really like this doctor and she herself has 3 kids under 6. She has definitely been there. She says its ok to let him cry it out at night. And she says we need to take the bumpers out of his crip. The last 2 times we did that he got different limbs STUCK between the crib slats! She also said that nursing him down each night is probably another no-no because he will become too dependent on it.

I honestly don't think I can go the CIO route, but I must admit we're getting desperate. Waking up at 4:00 every morning is starting to wear me down! Since we are leaving for California in 2 days, now is not the time to shake things up, but I think that a day of reckoning is approaching.

3 Comments:

Blogger chichimama said...

On the bumper issue, they do learn quickly. We had to take them out early with my son, and never even had them on with my daughter...on the rest of it don't ask me, my kids were (are) both horrific sleepers.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sense a complete lack of Uncle Gary on this blog, therefore I am forced to insert my thoughts. I say, Collin, dont let the man keep you down! You sleep when its right for your my short haired compatriot. Remember, Uncle Gary means fun in Italian.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Chicky said...

You're right, a trip is not the time to work on sleep issues, but any structure you can give him is important. Routines and regular times for his nap times and bed times is soo helpful. He's young enough that you can put him on a "schedule" (loose term) and he will adapt pretty quickly. Just be prepared for a few rough days (and nights), but know it will benefit him in the long run. Welcome to the blogosphere and enjoy California! We love visitors...you won't be staying long, right?? (lol-sooo kidding)

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home